Educational Credential Assessment for Express Entry

In Canada, an ECA (Educational Credential Assessment) report is utilized by immigration authorities to validate foreign education qualifications like a post-secondary degree, diploma, or certificate. The report assists in recognizing the Canadian equivalent of a candidate’s educational background. For example, what might be considered a Bachelor’s degree program in one country could be evaluated as a two-year program in Canada through the ECA process. An ECA report is valid for 5 years from its issue date.

Educational Credential Asssessment ECA for Express Entry

Who Needs an ECA Report for Canadian Immigration?

  • An ECA report is required for applicants who have finished their higher education outside Canada.
  • It is required for the Federal Skilled Worker Program under the Express Entry System.
  • It also helps candidates to maximize their potential points if they have finished their education outside Canada.
  • Although the ECA report is not mandatory for the CEC (Canadian Experience Class) program, if you have an education credential earned outside of Canada, it would help to receive some additional CRS points.
  • If your spouse or common-law partner is coming with you, you can assess ECA and earn points on their behalf.

Designated Organizations for ECA

Comparative Education Service (CES) at the University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies

  • CES provides educational credential assessments for individuals seeking recognition of their academic achievements earned outside Canada.
  • It offers various reports, including essential evaluations for general employment and comprehensive evaluations for professional occupations or admission to post-secondary institutions.
  • CES also provides Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) reports for immigration purposes, such as Express Entry, Permanent Residency, Provincial Nominee Program, and the Agri-Food Pilot.

Learn more about CES

International Credential Assessment Service (ICAS)

  • ICAS, sponsored by the British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT), evaluates educational credentials outside Canada.
  • It provides reports that help employers, education institutions, immigration officials, and community agencies understand education completed abroad.
  • ICAS offers essential evaluations for general employment, comprehensive evaluations for professional occupations or post-secondary admissions, and immigration (ECA) reports for Express Entry and other immigration programs.

Visit ICAS

World Education Services (WES)

  • WES is North America’s trusted leader in credential evaluation services.
  • It assesses international credentials for individuals planning to study or work in the U.S. or Canada.
  • WES offers different reports, including essential evaluations, comprehensive evaluations, and immigration (ECA) reports.
  • Their evaluations are widely recognized by academic, professional, and government institutions.

Explore WES

International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)

  • IQAS, an Alberta governmental service, assists immigrants to Canada in getting recognition for completed formal education and technical academic credentials earned outside Canada.
  • It provides educational credential assessment reports for various purposes, including employment, professional licensing, and immigration (ECA) for Express Entry, Permanent Residency, and other programs.

Learn about IQAS

International Credential Evaluation Service (ICES) at BCIT

  • ICES is the provincially mandated credential evaluation service in British Columbia.
  • It compares education received outside Canada with Canadian standards.
  • ICES offers essential evaluations for general employment, comprehensive evaluations for professional occupations or post-secondary admissions, and immigration (ECA) reports.
  • The reports include information on completed credentials, GPA calculation, and language of instruction.

Discover ICES

Special Requirements Based on Occupation

Medical Professionals

  • If you are a medical specialist in clinical and laboratory medicine, a specialist in surgery, or a general practitioner/family physician, you must assess your medical education through the Medical Council of Canada (MCC).
  • The ECA report from MCC confirms that your international medical degree is comparable to a Canadian one. However, it does not allow you to practice medicine in Canada directly. You’ll still need to meet other requirements, such as additional postgraduate training, to obtain full licensure from provincial and territorial medical regulatory authorities.

To request an ECA report from MCC:

  • Ensure your final medical degree/diploma has been source verified by MCC (verification returned – passed).
  • You can proceed if your medical school transcript has also been source verified (confirming degree award date).
  • Request the ECA report through your account, complete the payment, and follow the prompts.

Learn more about MCC’s ECA


  • If your primary profession is pharmacy, you’ll need an ECA report to practice in Canada.
  • Start by completing a Document Evaluation through the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada (PEBC). This evaluation determines whether your undergraduate pharmacy degree is equivalent to the basic education requirement for Canadian pharmacists (a four-year Bachelor of Pharmacy degree).
  • Once the document evaluation is done, PEBC will generate an ECA Report, mailed directly to you.

To apply for Document Evaluation and obtain the ECA report from PEBC:

  • Visit the PEBC website and follow the instructions for Document Evaluation.
  • After successful evaluation, you’ll gain access to the ECA Report application.

Explore PEBC’s Document Evaluation

Get Professional Help with Your Canadian PR Application

Apply for Canadian PR with the Help of Licensed RCIC Experts.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): ECA Report

Here are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) related to Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) reports for Canada immigration:

Do I need an ECA for a high school degree?

If you have an assessment for at least one post-secondary degree, you will not need an ECA for your high school degree.

What documents are required for the ECA?

Educational documents such as transcripts, diplomas, and degrees. If these documents are not in English or French, you may need to provide translations as well.

How much does an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) cost?

Generally, the cost is about CAN$200 plus the courier charges. The charges will be higher if you are a family, specialist, medical professional, or pharmacist.

How long does it take to get an ECA?

It depends on each designated organization. Generally, it takes a few weeks to a couple of months.

Is an ECA mandatory for all Express Entry candidates?

No, if you have finished your higher studies in Canada, you do not need an ECA.

What is a transcript?

Your official academic record is called a transcript. It mentions the program you studied, your marks and courses. You can get your transcript by contacting your alma mater.

If you’re seeking guidance on Canada Express Entry, connect with our team of experts for their professional advice.

Trending Stories

Canada Business Visa Minimum Investment Requirements

Canada Business Visa Minimum Investment: Your Complete Guide

Interested in applying for a Canadian business visa? Here are the Canada business visa minimum…
Targeted Express Entry Draw for French Speakers July 8, 2024
Express Entry Draw
IRCC Conducts French Language Proficiency Draw: 3,200 Candidates Invited
Canada Express Entry Latest Draw for Healthcare Occupations
Express Entry Draw
Canada Targeted Express Entry Draw for Healthcare Occupations (July 5, 2024)
Express Entry Draw
Latest Targeted Express Entry Draw for Trade Occupations (July 4, 2024)
Express Entry Draw
Canada Express Entry Latest Draw July 2, 2024 (PNP-Based)

Start Your Canadian Immigration Journey!

Make your Canadian dream a reality. Start your Canadian immigration process with trusted and licensed experts.